- Preheat your non-stick skillet and heat up the oil.
- Sauté the whole spices first. Once fragrant add the rest of the seeds and powdered spices. Toast until the smoky aroma comes out.
- You can now add the ginger-garlic paste, tomatoes, and onions. Cook until the onions have become translucent and the tomatoes are soft.
- Add the cauliflower next. Season with salt and sugar. Stir-fry until dry and the cauliflower edges are brown and a little toasted. Add the cooked potatoes next. Adjust the seasoning and serve warm.
- This is a great side dish to meaty Indian dishes, but I use it as a main dish since I like to eat light most of the time. I serve it with warm chapati or naan bread.
- If the dish dries out quickly, you can add 2 tablespoons of water and allow the vegetables to absorb the liquid. Continue adding water until the cauliflowers are completely cooked – soft with a bit of crunch left.
Growing up, I never really cared for cauliflower that much. Raised in a family of vegetarians, which should obviously mean that I should love this meaty vegetable, should I not? When I was a kid, I thought of it as just a bland filler to our dishes. It tasted so plain that I dreaded seeing it on our dining table. I avoided it as much as possible. I wasn’t aware of the different dishes that one can make using cauliflower back then. And now, I know better.
There are so many dishes that you can indulge on using cauliflower. And with so many possibilities, you can also expect that there are so many cooking methods that you can take advantage of because this is such a sturdy ingredient. You can boil it, bake it, grill in in your pellet grill, roast it in the oven, sauté it and of course, use it for stir fries, which I especially love.
How Healthy is a Cauliflower?
A lot can be said about the humble cauliflower being a super veg. You will surely be surprised that you can use this more than just a hearty replacement for meat in your dishes. And here is why:
- Make your heart healthier – cruciferous vegetables such as the cauliflower helps improve one’s blood pressure. It contains Sulforaphane which helps regulate and normalize the functions of your kidney.
- It is a great anti-inflammatory – while we need some inflammations in the body, anything that goes beyond normal can be really bad for us. Cauliflowers contain anti-inflammatory substances that will aid in making sure that our body will respond to inflammations well.
- Vitamin and Mineral Enriched- when you include 1 cup cauliflower in your diet, you will have more than just your average dose of vitamin C, magnesium, Vitamin K, protein, niacin, riboflavin, manganese, B6 and fiber. Imagine how healthy you can get when you have it daily.
- Cauliflower also offers other benefits such as:
- Boosting your brain health
- Decrease threats of heart diseases
- Fights cancers
- Improves your digestion
- And provides lots of anti-oxidants